Apple & Fig Autumn Spice Cake

It's finally that time of year when cinnamon comes out, (although I will not lie, I've been using it all year), and the leaves change from green to orange. Don't you just love Autumn, and everything about it? Today I made an apple and fig cake, and it tasted delicious I just could not wait to share it. It may not look dreamy, but it certainly tastes it.

With a crispy outer and a soft inside, filled with apple, figs, cinnamon, and even a bit of lemon zest, this is the perfect cake for Autumn. I like the slightly rustic and messy look this has, even more reason to make it during Autumn.


This was very easy to make, and was worth the long wait to take it out of the oven, plus a bit of cooling time. My Mum found this recipe in Sarah Raven's Garden Cookbook. The original recipe uses apples, sultanas and hazelnuts, but I decided to use figs and apple, for an even more autumnal flavour, because you can never have too much autumn. Am I right?


Ingredients
225g butter
350g self-raising flour
1tsp ground cinnamon
pinch of salt
175g caster sugar
4 figs
2 eating apples
1 grated lemon zest
3 large eggs

20cm loose-bottomed cake tin
Preheat oven to 180℃, and line tin with greasproof paper.
  

Start by using your hands until the flour, butter, salt, and cinnamon forms breadcrumbs. Then mix in the sugar.

Peel the apples, and cut the tops off the figs, then cut them both into small/medium pieces. Add these, along with the lemon zest, into the bowl. After that, beat the eggs before mixing them in.

Transfer the mixture into the tin, and cook for around 1 hour-1 hour 1/4, or until a skewer come out clean.


The last step is to enjoy the cake! It really does taste nice, especially while it's still a bit warm. I think I just found my perfect autumn bake, and if you wanted I suppose you could make this as two small cakes, and add a bit of buttercream icing.

I hope you have enjoyed reading this blog post, and let me know if you bake this! My social media accounts are linked in a page at the top, so feel free to check them out. I hope you are having a lovely weekend.

Do you like baking in Autumn? Personally I LOVE it.

annie.

Comments