How I'm Saving My Hair: 10 SIMPLE STEPS/HACKS


Since the age of around 13, I have made a habit out of dying my hair different colours, ranging from raspberry rebel pink to bleach blonde, and just about everything in between. My hair is currently a strange peachy shade, a result of my latest colour, bright red during December.

At the time, changing your hair colour with some cheap box dye always seem like the perfect idea. Purple hair? great! Bleach blonde? Sounds good to me. Back to brown? Why not. The excitement of changing your hair always seems to overwrite the practical side of all the chemical damage.

Back to the present, I am going to be doing everything I can to keep my hair in top condition. I've changed my hair so much over the years, that it's time for me to start fresh and let my natural hair shine as it should!

If you appear to be in a similar situation then keep reading for my 10 SIMPLE STEPS/HACKS
 on How I'm Saving My Damaged Hair. You can also follow my Instagram for regular updates on my life, beauty, fashion, travel, fitness, and of course my hair!

GET A HAIRCUT
On the 1st February I had all the dead, dry, and split ends cut off my hair. Of course there are still coloured ends on my head, however the condition of my hair has drastically improved Overall, it just feels a lot more healthy and thicker now that I have been for a good trim, and I plan to keep it that way by getting very small trims more often than every 7+ months (oops!). I am not saying you need to head to the salon every 6-8 weeks, (that would be a little too much), but if you notice your ends start to split and feel dry then that hair cut could be essential.



REDUCE HEAT STYLING
I am certain that everyone knows just how much damage the straighteners or curling wand could be doing to your hair, the end of the day, it's heat, and your hair. Of course I know that it is basically impossible to completely stop (especially for us wavy hair girls), so why not start by limiting yourself to once a week, as well as using a heat protection spray. Using less heat will give you a great chance to explore more heatless styles such as braids. Once you give your hair that much needed heat detox you really do notice the change.

I (very recently), purchased the John Frieda Detox & Repair heat protection spray, which contains avocado oil. I also received the Kerastase Elixir Ultime as a part of the Glamour Beauty Club, and I feel that this has been essential in helping my ends to feel smooth and shiny after the heat, (as well as smelling INCREDIBLE).

WASH YOUR HAIR LESS
I know, it sounds scary, right? I became someone who washed their hair everyday, especially since I do quite a bit of exercise, and all this does is strip your hair, leaving it to feel worse. Now, I only wash my hair every two or three days, (and you can still shower every day of course!). When I was my hair I alternate between the Aussie Miracle Moist, and the John Frieda shampoo for brunette hair. I also use the Aussie conditioner from the same range, and the 3 Minute Miracle once a week.

Linking to this, I recently received the Batiste Dry Shampoo for Brunettes, as a part of the Glamour Beauty Club, and I am obsessed. If you have dark roots, (like me), then this will become your best friend. This always manages to give my hair that all needed boost, adding volume in addition to getting rid of the excess oil.


COCONUT OIL
Once every week, I have started to melt coconut oil, massaging it into my hair, and then rinsing out with shampoo after 30 minutes. I have heard many times that not only is this great for the overall condition of your hair, but it is also meant to help your hair to grow quicker. One thing I will say is that make sure you have fully rinsed the coconut oil out, otherwise you will have the greasy residue in your hair, which is definitely not the result you are going for! However, I found this to be the perfect, (completely natural), solution for dry hair.

NO HAIR DYE
I think that this is a pretty self-explanatory hack/step in saving your hair. As I have already said, I have became a little obsessed with dyeing my hair. Every time the colour either washes out quickly, or I just get border. Don't get me wrong though, being white blonde was amazing and I loved the colour on me, bleach is just far too damaging if I want to give my hair a detox. For now I am just letting my natural roots grow through, while using the John Frieda shampoo for brunette hair to help the process.

LUKE-WARM WATER
From my extensive research this was a very common theme. Automatically I have always washed my hair with hot water, occasionally rinsing at the end with cold water. However, I have heard that washing your hair with luke-warm water is much healthier, so this is a step I will for sure be carrying out!

DRINK MORE WATER
There really is not much to say about this. Staying hydrated seems to be the answer to everything beauty related. Want smooth skin? More water. Healthy hair? DRINK MORE WATER.


USE SCRUNCHIES INSTEAD OF REGULAR BANDS
Remember when being a VSCO Girl was a trending thing? Well, the one thing we can take away from that is scrunchies. These little beauties will literally save your hair. When you think about it it makes perfect sense. Instead of a plain elastic band, a scrunchie is covered in soft material, making it the perfect choice. All of mine are from Primark, and I keep them over an old Coke glass bottle, (practical & aesthetic!!) I also use these at night to loosely tie my hair in a low pony.


And that is everything that I am currently following to keep my hair in tip-top condition. I really have seen a  difference, (even in the last week), and I am positive that it will only improve as my natural brunette hair grows through.

Let me know how you get with any of these, as well as anything that I might have missed. I could have included so much more, but I'll save it all for a future YouTube video maybe?


If you like then you can subscribe by email to get notified first every time I share a new post. You can also check out my other social media accounts and YouTube, which I have linked below for all things lifestyle.

Instagram http://instagram.com/annieelizabethj
Twitter http://twitter.com/annieejenkins_
YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLaE1Q5-xuCxpXqQWJ0t8EA?
Pinterest https://www.pinterest.co.uk/annieejenkins/

Comments