Choosing a BTEC or A Levels

Today's post is going to be a bit different, as I never really talk about school on here. However I just felt that this is something that might really help a lot of people out there who like me, have NO IDEA what they are doing when it comes to making an important decision to do with your further education, aka, the debate between choosing A Levels or a BTEC.



Now, long story short, I have experienced both a BTEC and A Levels. I started out doing a level 3 photography BTEC after my GCSE's, and I then went on to A Levels after my first year at College. I am currently doing A Levels in Drama, Textiles and Photography, and I am hopefully going back to college to complete the second year of my BTEC, which I actually did quite well in and ended up getting a distinction.

In my opinion, A Levels are perfect if you really want to go onto doing a degree that needs specific qualifications, or if you just have no idea what you would like to do after school. However, I was in the second situation, and I thought that because of this A Levels would be perfect. It turns out that they are not for me.


I know you hear people say how hard A Levels are, and I had heard this too, but I will say it again, THEY ARE HARD. Three subjects really are not that easy at this level. I'm definitely not saying that they are impossible, you just have to be good at managing your time, and you have to be willing to work hard.

For me, Textiles and Photography are all coursework so I find them easier to handle, but for Drama I will sit an exam, so that means revision, and A LOT of hard work if I want a good grade.


BTEC's on the other hand are a lot less stressful as you only have one subject to think about and really focus on. I also had one day of the week off, and when I was in I only had one 9-5 day, so I had quite a bit of spare time. When you have only one subject it is a lot easier to keep up with deadlines which is a huge bonus, and I like that I had time to think about what I was doing instead of rushing to get it done the day before being due. College is also a lot less like school in the sense that you only have to turn up to your one subject, so you don't have anything like tutorial to turn up to, (unless you have to resit Maths/English).

Obviously the work will still be hard, and you have to put in a lot of effort if you would like to get a good grade. Although, I did find college a lot easier and overall better when I think back to it now, which is exactly why I would like to go back and do the second year.

I know that I could have said a lot more, but I did not want to make this post too long. I would also just like to say that this is my own personal opinion and I really don't want to put you off A Levels, this is just what I think.


I really hope that I have helped in some way, and let me know what you did/are doing down below. Also if you have any questions feel free to ask.

If you would like to then follow on Instagram (annieelizabethj) or Twitter (annieejenkins_) or Pinterest (www.pinterest.co.uk/annieejenkins/). I hope that you have had a lovely Monday!

annie. 








Comments