Sweet Potato Cakes

December may only be a week away, and Christmas a month, (super excited for that!), but there is still time for Autumn baking, and there always will be. I remember a while ago my Mum made these cakes, and they really were delicious. If you are a fan of carrot cake, then I guarantee these will be for you.





With mixed spice and a light, fluffy centre, topped with a sweet and soft buttercream,these really are THE cakes to make as Autumn comes to an end. The recipe is super simple and so are the ingredients.


I started by pre-heating the oven to around 180℃, and lining a 12-hole muffin tin with cupcake cases.

The ingredients you will need for the cakes are:
150g butter
250g sweet potato, peeled and grated
125g sugar
200g self raising flour
2tsp mixed spice
2tsp baking powder
1ts vanilla extract
2 eggs
2tbs yoghurt

I started by creaming together the butter and sugar, before mixing in the grated sweet potato. I then added in the two eggs, stirring until everything was combined.

Next I added the flour, baking powder, mixed spice, and vanilla, folding everything together. Lastly, I added the yoghurt, as my mixture was a bit dry.

I put these in my fan over for around 20 minutes, until a skewer came out clean, and left them to cool as I made the icing.



The ingredients you will need for the icing are:
175g  butter
350g icing sugar
3tbsp milk
mixed spice

Start by beating the butter to make it soft, then mix in the rest of the ingredients, adding as much or little mixed spice as you desire.

Only put onto the cakes once they have cooled down, as otherwise the buttercream will melt.






The last step is to obviously enjoy your cakes. I hope that you have enjoyed reading this and it has helped you in some way. Feel free to leave a comment below letting me know if you try this recipe, or if you have any suggestions for Christmas bakes. 




If you would like to then follow me on Instagram (annieelizabethj) or Twitter (annieejenkins_) or Pinterest (www.pinterest.co.uk/annieejenkins/). I hope that you have a lovely Sunday afternoon.

annie.

Comments