When Baking Goes Wrong...But It Tastes Delicious Anyway

I planned that I would make a Yule Log right at the start of the Month, as I have made it the previous few years and it has been amazing. This year I though it would be a good idea to experiment a bit, which in terms of baking can either be the best or worst idea ever. In this case, the Yule Log definitely did not end up exactly as I had expected, but it tasted incredible so that's what matters, right?

Instead of following the recipe and making the dark chocolate ganache I decided to use white chocolate, for a sweeter taste and more snowy look, (I was trying to be creative haha!) In my head this seemed perfect, but it was not until it came around to putting it all together that things went wrong.

The ganache turned out to be far too runny, with a more sauce like consistency. It tasted absolutely delicious, but looked nothing like a snowy log. So if you want to follow this recipe then just use the "ganache" as a white chocolate sauce to pour over your slice, as it does actually taste really nice.



As you can see it looks more like a white chocolate pond than ganache, but at least I know now to find a proper recipe next time instead of just substituting ingredients.

Anyway! On a more positive note, the sponge is perfectly soft and super light. It's definitely not too rich at all, making it the perfect yule log, (when you follow the recipe). The giant crack was down to my not so perfect rolling up skills, which really needs a bit more practice.


So for the sponge you will need...
4 large eggs
140g caster sugar
60g self-raising flour
50g cocoa powder

Start by preheating the oven to 200℃ and put some grease-proof paper in a swiss roll tin. Then whisk together the sugar and the eggs until you have achieved a frothy consistency. Add the flour and cocoa powder and mix until smooth. Transfer to the tray and and bake in the oven for around 8-10 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.

Once out of the oven transfer the sponge onto a clean piece of grease-proof paper, and score a line a few cm away from the edge, making sure to not go all the way through. Tightly roll up the sponge from the scored edge and let it cool completely.

I made my "ganache" while the sponge was cooling. I started by heating 250ml of double cream in a pan, and when it started bubbling around the edge I added the white chocolate. I took the pan off the heat and stirred it until smooth. 

Okay so I have only just realised that the recipe clearly states to "leave to completely cool". Well, at least I now know that it was my mistake and not the actual recipe's.

Little tip: ALWAYS READ THE RECIPE, (seriously just do it haha)

Anyway, whip 200ml of double cream, and once the sponge has cooled, unroll it. Spread the cream until you have an even layer, before rolling it up again tightly. Lastly, ONCE THE GANACHE HAS FULLY COOLED, spread it over the log.



Thank you for joining me on this journey, hopefully next time everything goes as planned and I do not make any big mistakes.

Have you ever made a mistake while baking? I know I cannot be the only one.

If you would like to then follow me on Instagram (annieelizabethj) or Twitter (annieejenkins_) or Pinterest (www.pinterest.co.uk/annieejenkins/). I hope that you have a lovely festive day.

annie.

Comments