How to Have an Instagram 'Glow Up'


This is probably one of the least planned blog posts that I have shared in a while now, but I felt like it had to be shared. I am also heading over to Cardiff (from Norfolk) with my family at one am, but I wanted this to go up before the weekend. Many people, (including myself), LOVE Instagram, not only for inspiration but also as a creative outlet. 

My Instagram account has definitely gone though phases of being amazing, and not so much. I have never been able to stick to one theme, especially since I blog about whatever I feel like posting. It was for this reason that I have decided to give my Instagram a 'Glow Up', sharing every step with my blog. 

I have gradually started to refine the content that I share, only taking flatlays in the same place with the same background. Despite this I still would like to make my account look more 'put together' and Pinterest-worthy, with a less miss-matched look.

In this post I will share a bronze and glowing 'natural' makeup look, different to my recent blog post. As well as makeup there is some skincare and I have also shared a hair look that is easy to achieve. After the look I will share my tips for capturing the perfect pic.



For the look I knew that I wanted to create something that was natural and that would GLOW, as I just LOVE looking like a glazed donut. I mean, who doesn't? Overall I am super happy with the look that I have created.




I started by following my Skincare Routine, and washing my face with the Boots Expert Skincare Face Wash. I then applied the Botanical Lab Turmeric Clay Mask, leaving on for 15 minutes. I also used the Glossier Rose Balm Dot Com on my dry lips, which really does work wonders. Once the 15 minutes was up I rinsed the mask off, then using the Boots Expert Skincare Day Cream (moisturiser), to re-hydrate after using the mask. I like to keep things more simple for my skin, so this combination of products is perfect.


The next step was to straighten my fringe and curl my hair, which I split into three layers, using my V05 Heat Protection Spray. I love this spray because as you can see my hair looks super smooth, soft, and shiny, which I lovee. Considering I have not curled my hair in a while I am actually quite happy with the way it looks, and I will definitely be curling it more often.




So now it is time to share the makeup look that I created. Since I had earlier moisturised I went straight in with the Maybelline Fit Me Concealer, setting that in place with the Collection Sheer Loose Powder. What I love about the powder is how smooth it makes my skin look, as well as the fact that it lasts for a super long time. I then used the Mac Brow Set, which I always use, going along and then upwards, remembering to first brush off the excess. Next, it was time to bronze up my pale skin, with the Makeup Revolution Golden Sugar Palette, then contouring with the Collection Contour Kit. I then used an all time favourite of mine, the I Heart Makeup Blushing Heart in Peachy Pink Kisses, layering to really achieve the 'glazed donut' look. If that was not enough highlight, I then applied the product to my inner eye area, bringing it to the middle of my lid. For this I used my finger as I felt it gave me more pigmentation than using a brush. For my lashes I used the Rimmel Volume Flash Mascara, and old product, but firm favourite, and by far the best I have ever tried. To my lips I first applied the Rimmel Stay Matte Liquid Lipstick in Blush, before layering the Mac Velvet Teddy Lipstick over the top.









I had to include this one because it was just too cute!

Now that I have shared the look I thought that I would include a few tips that I used for these pictures, which I took all by myself, using the timer on my phone camera. I would also like to add that I propped the phone up on a piece of fencing, but I should probably stay on the look out for a tripod. 

The first thing I was thinking about was finding the right location, which for me was my garden, round the side of our house where there are a lot of different plants all over the place. I then had to think about where the sun was and how I wanted the lighting look. With pictures it is also all about the angle. There is nothing worse than finding a beautiful location and then looking like a zombie with shadows in strange patterns over your face. It took me a bit of time, but with some failed attempts, (a vital part of every shoot- just keep going!) I was there. 

Then for me this is the hardest part, how do I stand, where do I look, what do I do with my hands. Well, there are hundreds of different options. My favourite and what I find works best for me is either looking straight into the camera, down, or with my back turned walking away. I am also a big fan of the 'candid smile', the most candid being when my cat appeared halfway through taking pictures. In my opinion, the more candid the better, especially if like me modelling does not come naturally to you, after many attempts. With my hands I tend to either leave them down, touch my hair, or hold a prop, such as a drink, a book, or a makeup item, for example. 

I have probably missed out a lot, but these are my main tips that I am going to be following from now on to hopefully give my Instagram feed a 'glow up. I am probably going to insert what my feed currently looks like, mainly for reference to see how my content improves from now on. After creating this post I am definitely more excited to really work on the content that I am sharing, and to see where it takes me.


I hope that you have found this helpful in some way, I have for sure had fun creating this. Also feel free to leave any extra advice/tips below, for me and others to see.

If you would like to then follow on Instagram or my Art InstagramTwitterBloglovin', or Pinterest. I hope that you are having a lovely day!

annie. 

Comments